Kolkata, Jan 23: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reached Netaji Bhawan in Kolkata, West Bengal on the occasion of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary. He will address ‘Parakram Diwas’ celebrations today, to commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
Watch LIVE speech of PM Modi from Victoria Memorial.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) January 23, 2021
Here are LIVE updates from Kolkata
- While inaugurating the commemorative stamp and coin on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s 125th birth anniversary, PM Modi said, “We will celebrate Netaji’s birthday as Parakram Diwas every year.” “Centre did not consult with me while declaring Netaji’s birthday as Parakram Diwas,” West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee claimed.
- No force in the world can stop 130 crore Indians from making India ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during the event in Kolkata. Quoting Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, the PM said, “During the World War II and changing political dynamics, why did he go to every country to ask for help? For our freedom! For a free India! Every Indian is indebted to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.”
- Addressing Bose on his birth anniversary, the PM said Netaji must have been proud to see the India of today. “The world is watching India’s avatar from LAC to LoC,” the Prime Minister added. PM Modi said, “When the world was discussing basic rights of women, Netaji formed the Rani Jhansi regiment and connected them to the freedom struggle. He trained them and instilled in them a passion for the country and fighting for it.”
- A number of Trinamool Congress leaders took to social media on Saturday to condemn the developments at the event in Kolkata. “I strongly condemn shouting of political and religious slogans at Government Functions to celebrate the legacy of Freedom Fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 125th birth anniversary celebrations,” TMC MP Nusrat Jahan Ruhi said in a tweet.
राम का नाम गले लगाके बोले ना कि गला दबाके । 🙏
I strongly condemn shouting of political and religious slogans at Government Functions to celebrate legacy of Freedom Fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 125th birth anniversary celebrations. #SaveBengalFromBJP #Shame
— Nusrat Jahan Ruhi (@nusratchirps) January 23, 2021
- Supporters of the Prime Minister raised slogans from ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai’ to ‘Modi-Modi’ as the PM took the stage at the event in Kolkata. Similar slogans were also raised when Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee took the microphone to speak.
- “I am thankful to the prime minister and the Union cultural ministry for holding this programme on Netaji in Kolkata,” she said. Speaking in Hindi, she added, “Lekin kisi ko aamantrit kar ke beijjat karna aap logon ko shobha nahi deta. (It is unbecoming of you all to insult someone after inviting her to an event). In protest of this, I am not speaking anything more. Jai Hind. Jai Bangla.”
- Mamata Banerjee has refused to speak at the event being organised at the Victoria Memorial. She was angered after a section of the crowd started making noise as she was called on the stage to address the gathering. “I think there should be some dignity when a government programme is being held. This is not the programme of a political party. This is a programme of all parties and people,” she said.
- Addressing the gathering at the Victoria Memorial, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee said she is thankful that the central government chose to hold the event in Kolkata. “I am thankful to the prime minister and the Union cultural ministry for holding this programme on Netaji in Kolkata,” she said.
- Mamata Banerjee addresses event at Victoria Memorial
- The cultural performances dedicated to the life of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose have ended. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankar and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee are sharing stage at the Victoria Memorial where the event is being held.
- Sourendra-Soumyojit perform ‘Dhono Dhane Pushpe Bhora’. The song was written by revolutionary Dwijendralal Ray.
- Children and band perform in presence of PM Narendra Modi at Victoria Memorial in Kolkata.
- Usha Uthup leaves the audience spellbound with her performance at Victoria Memorial in Kolkata during Netaji’s birth anniversary event.
- Papon performs song dedicated to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
- Singers Papon and Usha Uthup will be performing shortly at the event on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s life at Victoria Memorial.
- Cultural events on Netaji’s life to begin shortly at Victoria Memorial
- In a tweet about the PM’s visit to Bengal, the PMO said the bravery of Subhas Chandra Bose inspire every Indian. “His bravery and ideals inspire every Indian. His contribution to India is indelible. India bows to the great Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. PM Narendra Modi began his Kolkata visit and Parakram Divas programmes by paying homage to Netaji Bose at Netaji Bhawan.”
His bravery and ideals inspire every Indian. His contribution to India is indelible.
India bows to the great Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) January 23, 2021
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reached the Victoria Memorial. He is expected to attend a cultural event on the life of Netaji here.