Guwahati, June 30: At least 30 houses were gutted in a massive fire at Tinkonia near Polo ground in Dibrugarh.

According to sources, it is suspected the fire was because of a short circuit. Most of the houses were of bamboo, causing the fire to spread easily and engulfed the entire area.

Dibrugarh SP Shwetank Mishra said, “We suspect that the fire caught was because of a short circuit. Six cylinders exploded in the fire. All were rented houses. No casualty was reported”.

“Five to six fire tenders were used to douse the fire. Right now the damage cannot be assessed. We will start the investigation from tomorrow,” added Mishra.


Also Read: 12 Covid patients die in GMCH Assam within 24 hours

Sources have estimated the property damaged to be in lakhs.

“We heard a loud sound and rushed from our house and witnessed a massive fire in our locality. People were coming out of their houses and running. Fire tenders arrived on scene and quickly doused the fire which saved many other houses,” a local resident said.