After rising COVID-19 cases Assam government announces total lockdown in the areas of 11 wards in Guwahati

Guwahati, June 23: Given the rise in COVID-19 positive cases the Assam government on Tuesday announced total lockdown in the areas of 11 wards in the capital city of Assam until further order.

The total lockdown order will effect from 9 pm on June 23.

In an order issued by Chief Secretary of Assam government, Kumar Sanjay Krishna stated that – “It has been reported to me by District Magistrate, Kamrup Metropolitan that there is large scale spread of COVID 19 affected cases among the general public of certain areas of Guwahati City which has posed as a major threat to public health, hygiene and safety of the general population; I, therefore, in my capacity as the Chairman of the State Executive Committee of Assam State Disaster Management Authority, in the exercise of the powers, conferred under Section 22(2)(h) of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, do hereby issue directives to Commissioner of Police, City and District Magistrate, Kamrup Metropolitan District to enforce total lockdown in the areas. This order shall come into force with effect from 9 PM (2100 hrs) of 23 June,2020 and shall remain in force until further orders.”

Assam Govt. announces total lockdown in Guwahati

Earlier, Assam Health Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma said in a press conference that, 144 positive cases for COVID-19 without any travel history have been detected in Guwahati in last two days and it is a very alarming trend.

“The state Health Department has suggested for imposing lockdown again inward wise in Guwahati where more COVID-19 positive cases were detected. The Kamrup (Metro) district administration will decide it,” Himanta Biswa Sarma said.

The Assam minister further said that the state government has also decided to convert the quarantine centres set up in Guwahati to COVID-19 care centres where the asymptomatic patients will be treated.

We have also decided to set up 33 sample collection centres in each ward in Guwahati city to test more people for the novel Coronavirus,” Himanta Biswa Sarma said.

After Sarusajai stadium, the Assam government has constructed six more quarantine centres at Khanapara area with a capacity of 900 people.

Assam has so far reported 5853 positive cases for COVID-19 and out of these 3565 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals.