Assam, May 18: In view of rising coronavirus cases, the Assam government on Monday announced that there will be restrictions on all inter-district transport services and movement of people across the state for 15 days, starting May 21.
The fresh order came as the state reported its all-time high of 6,394 coronavirus cases and the highest one-day 92 deaths due to the viral disease.
“Whereas, it has been observed that with unabated inter-district movement, the COVID-19 containment measures are not yielding the desired level of reduction in COVID-19 cases,” the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) said in its order.
As per the order, all inter-district transport services and movement of people across Assam will be suspended for 15 days with effect from 5 am of May 21, 2021, except for a set of exemptions.
However, various emergency and essential services will be exempted from the restriction.
“Movement related to medical, last rite emergencies or any other movement with written permission from the jurisdictional Deputy Commissioner of the originating district,” the order added.
Following are the exemptions during the inter-district movement in Assam
- Movement of goods and persons including frontline workers in connection with COVID-19 related duties on the production of valid documents.
- Movement of Officials and persons, both government and private involved in emergency services such as Health and Family Welfare and all related medical establishments, Police, Prisons, Home Guards, Civil Defense, Fire and emergency services, District Administration, Pay & Account Office, Electricity, Water and Sanitation, Public Transport (Air/Railways/Buses) including all incidental services/activities that are essential for smooth functioning of all modes of public transport (such as handling of cargo, ticketing, air freight station, CFS, ICD, etc.), Disaster Management and related services, IMD, CWC, Water Resources Department, PHE, NIC, NCC, and Municipal services, and all other essential services on production of valid Identity card.
- Movement of Judicial officers/officials of courts of Assam on the production of valid Identity cards.
- Movement of pregnant women and patients forgetting medical /health services.
- Movement of persons coming from/going to Airports/Railway stations/ISBTS allowed to travel on the production of a valid ticket.
- Movement of Officers/officials related to the functioning of offices of Diplomats of various countries as well as persons holding any constitutional post on the production of valid Identity cards.
- Movement of Electronic, print Media and Government servants handling media issues on the production of valid Identity card
- There shall be no restriction on inter-state movement of passengers and transportation of essential/nonessential goods. No separate permission / e-pass will be required for such movements.
- Movement of persons related to commercial and private establishments providing the following essential services/commodities shall be allowed.
- Shops dealing with food, groceries, fruits & vegetables, dairy & milk booths, meat & fish, animal fodder, pharmaceuticals, medicines, and medical equipment.
- Banks, Insurance offices, and ATMs.
II. Telecommunications, Internet services, Broadcasting and Cable services, IT and IT-enabled services
- Delivery of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment through eCommerce.
- Petrol pumps, LPG, CNG, petroleum, and gas retail and storage outlets.
- Power generation, transmission, and distribution units and services. VII. Cold storage and warehousing services.
III. Private security services
- Manufacturing units of essential commodities.
- Production units or services, which require a continuous process.
- Movement of persons who are going for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Movement of all the officials/persons entrusted with election-related works either by Government authorities or by private enterprises or by the authorities of any political party or contest candidate on the production of a valid Identity card/ engagement letter/appointment order/work order.
- Movement of all the employees/persons involved in operations related to forestry under the environment & Forest department on the production of valid Identity cards.
- Movement related to supply and maintenance of agricultural implements.
- Movement related to essential items supply from and to FCI establishments.
- Transportation of all medical personnel, nurses, paramedical staff, other hospital support services.
- Movement of Air traffic, Railway passenger and goods trains shall continue to operate.
- Movement of Government/semi-government officers in the rank of Deputy Secretary and above and senior executives in the Non-Government sector along with their key support staff for emergency and essential works.
- Movement in connection with maintaining supply chain of medicines.
- Movement of goods shall continue uninterrupted.
- Movement related to medical, last rite emergencies or any other movement with written permission from the jurisdictional Deputy Commissioner of originating district.
The Assam government on Saturday imposed fresh curbs in urban and semi-urban areas, including restrictions on the movement of people and vehicles banned from 12 noon to 5 am and night curfew in the rest of the state from 6 pm to 5 am.
Assam is seeing a surge in coronavirus cases as part of the deadly second wave that has swept the country.
So far, 3,28,629 COVID cases have been reported in the state from the start of the pandemic, while 2179 people have succumbed to the virus.
The active cases in the state stand at 43,377.
India has been grappling with a fatal second wave of the pandemic that is sweeping the country, claiming the lives of many people daily, with the issue like shortage vaccines and oxygen supply at various hospitals across the country adding to the woes.